Gluten-Free Garbanzo-Tahini Crackers
I have been looking for a great gluten-free cracker recipe, and saw these crackers on my friend Or Carmi' instagram (@or.carmi). The original recipe was developed by Joel and Naomi Rubin, olive farmers and olive oil producers from Sde Ilan in Israel. The recipe was published on a popular Israeli blog, and I am so happy I found these and can share them with you.
These are some of the finest crackers I have ever had! They are nutty, earthy, crunchy and delicious. Best of all, they are healthy, gluten-free, vegan, low carb and sugar free. I should only warn that they are addictive. This is the basic recipe. You can change the ingredients as you wish, add smoked paprika, oregano, cumin, fried onion flakes, parmesan etc. You can also make them from other bean flours, keeping the same ratio. I never tried substituting the tapioca with other starch, but I'm sure corn would work too.
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sesame
1 tbs vinegar
7 tbs olive oil
7 tbs tahini
1 cup warm water + 1/4 cup more as needed
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F (200C)
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flours, seeds and salt.
3. Add the olive oil, tahini, vinegar and half the water and mix until well combined.
4. Add the rest of the water and mix well. The batter needs to be very loose (similar consistency of homemade tahini). It should drip of a spoon.
5. Transfer 1/3 of the batter into parchment lined baking sheet, and with a spatula spread out the batter evenly. It should be about 2/8th inch thick (2-3 mm). Make sure the edges are slightly taller than the rest, otherwise they might burn.
6. Sprinkle with more sesame seeds and bake for 9 minutes.
7. Remove the pan from the oven after 9 minutes (half baked) and with a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut into even sized squares.
8. Return the pan to the oven and continue to bake for 10-15 minutes until slightly golden and hard to the touch.
9. Let cool completely, and store in airtight container for up to a week (it's unlikely this will last as long....)
#Crackers #Garbanzobeans #Sesame #Sunflowerseeds #FlaxSeeds #Tahini